The view shows on the left S.Geremia with its campanile and the Palazzo Labia. At the centre can be seen the Ponte di Cannaregio and beyond it are the buildings of the Ghetto Vecchio. The Palazzo Querini detti Papozze is at the right edge of the picture.
This painting is dated to the 1730s on the grounds of style and because of its relationship with a drawing by the artist which is apparently dated 1734 (Windsor, Royal Collection). It is considered to be a good product of Canaletto's studio.
The composition is recorded, with variations, in other painted versions (e.g. Windsor, Royal Collection), and in a drawing by the artist (also Windsor, Royal Collection), and an engraving by Visentini of 1735. The Windsor painting includes a statue of Saint John Nepomuk which was erected in front of S. Geremia in 1742; this date and that of the drawing provide the range for the execution of this painting.