This is a view of the late 16th century façade of the church of S. Pietro in Castello, which was until 1807 the cathedral church of Venice; after that date this distinction was passed to S. Marco. The building between the church and its campanile is the patriarchal palace. On the right can be seen the Ponte di S. Pietro.
Stylistically the painting is close to 'Venice: Entrance to the Cannaregio' also by the studio of Canaletto, and is similarly dated.
The composition is broadly based upon a drawing by Canaletto (Windsor, Royal Collection).