The inscription beside the Virgin's left hand (A.A.P.) has been taken to mean 'Andrea di Aloigi [or Andrea da Assisi] painted this'. Andrea di Aloigi from Assisi, also known as 'L'Ingegno' was one of the most accomplished of Perugino's pupils who, according to Vasari, became blind and had to abandon his art in 1501.
This work probably dates from the 1490s. The composition is perhaps derived from an altarpiece or other painting in which Christ would have been looking at a saint or donor to his right.