On the left, in the distance, is the ruined castle of Merwede (Huis te Merwede), which is a mile to the east of Dordrecht. It was built in the 13th century and destroyed about 1420. Its ruins still stand.
Cuyp painted and drew the ruined castle on several occasions and the prominently displayed cows occur in a number of his other paintings. For example, the cow on the left appears in 'The Large Dort', also in the National Gallery's Collection.