This picture was included in the memorial exhibition of Corot's works at the École des Beaux-Arts in 1875, the year of his death.
In the 1850s and 1860s Corot became well known for his idealised, wooded landscapes with soft forms and muted colours. The landscapes were painted in the studio and he often described them as 'souvenirs' (memories). The composition was possibly inspired by Japanese prints. The graceful movement of branches to the left was repeated by Corot in a number of paintings. The misty silvery atmosphere is characteristic of Corot's late work.