The Virgin suckling the Child Jesus is shown flanked by a youthful Saint John the Baptist (left) and an angel (right). The strongly outlined figures clearly derive from Botticelli's workshop and must be by a good studio assistant; the quality is not of a standard to warrant attributing the picture to Botticelli himself. The number of versions of the picture suggests that the composition was popular.
The inscription, which is apparently contemporary, presumably refers to the Florentine stonemason, wood carver and builder/architect Giuliano da Sangallo. He may have either commissioned the painting or worked on the original frame. The present frame of about 1505 is on loan from the Victoria and Albert Museum.