This is not an accurate topographical record of the view. On the left are the campanile of S.Geremia and the Palazzo Labia. In the centre is the Ponte di Cannaregio and beyond it are the buildings of the Ghetto Vecchio. The Palazzo Querini detti Papozze is on the right.
Microchemical analysis has revealed the presence of a blue pigment called 'Thénards blue', which was not in use until 1804. Therefore this painting must be considered the work of a 19th century imitator of Guardi.
The composition is derived in part from Visentini's engraving after Canaletto's 1735 version of the same scene.