A magnetic bookmark of Carlo Crivelli's 'Saint Michael', printed in the UK using vegetable inks.
The panel depicting the Virgin and Child was the central panel of a polyptych painted by Crivelli in 1476 as the high altarpiece for San Domenico in Ascoli Piceno, east central Italy. The polyptych was composed of the central panel and eight smaller panels with saints, also in the Gallery. Originally there was a predella (a lower section of the altarpiece), now lost, and a lunette-shaped Lamentation above (now in New York, Metropolitan Museum of Art).
When acquired by the Gallery, the altarpiece had a third tier of smaller saints, now acknowledged as part of a separate polyptych in the same church. The entire complex has been known as 'The Demidoff Altarpiece' since it was framed as one polyptych when in Prince Anatole Demidoff's collection in the 19th century.
By 1476 polyptychs were becoming old-fashioned. The new Renaissance altarpiece in many parts of Italy featured a single field and unified design.