The National Gallery Company Limited
National Gallery Company Limited (NGC) is the trading arm of the National Gallery. Its primary purpose is to generate income for the National Gallery and the National Gallery Trust through a number of commercial operations. NGC runs the Gallery shops (located within the gallery and online); National Gallery book publishing and image licensing through the Picture Library and contracts out the Gallery's cafés and restaurant.
Originally known as National Gallery Publications Ltd, the company was incorporated in 1986. In 1999 it changed its name to National Gallery Company Limited to better reflect its range of activities. NGC is owned by the National Gallery Trust. It has now developed into a recognised brand and a thriving business with annual gross sales of circa £7m, and more than 80 staff across the Gallery and Head Office.
Vision, Mission & Values
- Vision: To be the best museum trading company in the world.
- Mission: Get the message out. Get the people in. Make money for the Gallery.
- Values: NGC people are enterprising - constantly seeking opportunities to drive sales and achieve income for the Gallery; ambassadorial – about the NG collection and NGC products and services; smart – effective, efficient and make well-informed decisions based on sound business rationale.
At the National Gallery Company Ltd we are committed to protecting and sustaining the environment through the way we work and the way we do business.
National Gallery Shops
There are three destination shops within the National Gallery open daily from 10am to 5.45pm (Fridays until 8.45pm) and an online shop at: www.nationalgallery.co.uk.
With a broad range of products inspired by the Gallery’s permanent collection and to accompany the changing exhibition programme, items range from postcards and pocket money items through to art books, designer jewellery and vintage champagne.
Of the 5m annual visitors to the Gallery, 12% make purchases in one of the Gallery shops; every purchase supporting the National Gallery.
Sainsbury Wing Shop
The flagship store, showcasing an inspiring collection of original gifts and an extensive range of specialist art books.
The essential London store for great souvenirs and a range of National Gallery gifts and books.
The one-stop gift shop with something for everyone.
National Gallery online shopping. Delivery around the UK and to over 80 countries worldwide. Visit www.nationalgallery.co.uk.
- Print on Demand (POD) (see below)
- Artists’ Materials
- Calendars and Diaries
- Luxury Flowers
- Homewares and Gifts
Print on Demand (POD)
An exclusive service available both in-store and online offering superb quality, digital reproductions of National Gallery paintings, printed to order in a range of sizes and finishes.
- Over 2,000 digital quality images including some of the world’s greatest and best-known masterpieces
- A variety of finishes e.g. matt or gloss, poster print or canvas to suit any venue, home or workspace
- A range of sizes, from A4 to bespoke sizes
- A choice of frames
- Prices start at just £17.50 for an unframed print
- Delivery straight to your address or available for collection in-store
- Close-ups - Create your own bespoke prints featuring details from some of the most influential, historic and famous paintings ever created, from van Gogh’s Sunflowers through to Holbein’s The Ambassadors
NGC offers licensees access to the National Gallery’s unique collection of Western European painting and opportunities to partner one of the most magnificent and authoritative art galleries in the world. Building the brand and reflecting the ethos of the National Gallery are key elements in all the partnerships developed.
In 2012, National Gallery Company Ltd. unveiled the Delicious Art ™ brand, celebrating the magnificence of the National Gallery paintings through food and drink. Launched with vintage wines and champagnes, the range continues to develop with carefully selected brand matched associations endorsing quality and excellence.
Made in BritainThe National Gallery Company Ltd is a proud Member of the Made in Britain campaign supporting & promoting British manufacturing
National Gallery Publishing
NGC Publishing exists to create beautiful books that support the Gallery, its research and its exhibition programme. With a variety of publications, it aims to promote and encourage the widest possible appreciation of the paintings in the collection, through retail and trade distribution to a worldwide readership.
With books aimed at every kind of visitor, from newcomer to scholar, each publication is carefully produced and generously illustrated, whether hard back catalogue or multi-lingual introductory guide. Books and catalogues are produced to accompany the National Gallery’s special exhibitions, both enhancing the visitor experience and also providing lasting value for the specialist. Among scholars and students, art historians and conservators, the National Gallery Technical Bulletin and the new series of National Gallery Catalogues have an international reputation.
The National Gallery’s in-house picture library provides exceptional high resolution digital images of works in the Gallery collection, including recently acquired, cleaned and restored paintings, ready to download and reproduce at www.nationalgalleryimages.co.uk.
From full feature films to fashion shoots and TV documentaries, the National Gallery provides a central London location rich in variety and well-suited to a diverse range of filming projects. For film-makers, the Gallery can provide a wealth of settings with impressive interior spaces and striking exterior views, from High Victorian to the stark modernity of the East Wing; all served by excellent facilities.
Recent filming at the Gallery includes ‘Skyfall’ with Daniel Craig and Ben Whishaw, and the forthcoming Tom Cruise film ‘All You Need Is Kill’.
Recent TV dramas include: Mr Selfridge (ITV), Hunted (BBC1/HBO) and Spooks (BBC1).
Cafés & Restaurants
The Gallery’s restaurant operation is run by award winning Peyton & Byrne. There are four cafés and restaurants in the National Gallery catering for all occasions:
- The National Café – a modern European menu offering a slice of cosmopolitan café culture.
- The National Dining Rooms - a quintessentially British restaurant offering a classic menu of regional dishes.
- Espresso Bar - the perfect coffee stop for visitors planning their route around the Gallery.
- Grab & Go – quick and easy snacks to take away or eat in.
The website Affiliate Programme is available and run in association with Affiliate Window, across all key categories. Further detail www.nationalgallery.co.uk/control/affiliates.
National Gallery Company Limited
Registered in England & Wales
Company No.: 2280277
Registered Office: St. Vincent House, 30 Orange Street, London WC2H 7HH
VAT registration no.: 480 7305 49