Facing the Modern: The Portrait in Vienna 1900 (Hardback)
Published to accompany the exhibition Facing the Modern: The Portrait in Vienna 1900 at the National Gallery, London, from 9 October 2013 – 12 January 2014.
Portraiture is the genre most closely identified with the flourishing of modern art in fin-de-siècle Vienna. Working to the demands of the ‘New Viennese’ – upwardly mobile, middle-class patrons with immigrant histories – artists focused on the image of the individual. From the commemorative to the critical, the cautious to the radical, their portraits chart the changing fortunes of men, women and children facing the distinctly modern challenge of living in one of the most diverse cities of its time.
‘Vienna 1900’ is often viewed as a time when the avant-garde pushed the boundaries in art. Yet this book tells a more complex and ultimately more interesting story, tracing the roots of modernism back to the early nineteenth century. It also presents lesser-known women and Jewish artists alongside Gustav Klimt, Oskar Kokoschka and Egon Schiele, giving a more complete portrait of the city and its art.
- On Stage: The New Viennese
- Past Times and Present Anxieties at the Galerie Miethke
- Biedermeier Modern: Representing Family Values
- Portraying Viennese Beauty: Makart and Klimt
- Klimt, Schiele and Schönberg: Self Portraits
- Women Artists and Portraiture in Vienna 1900
- Imaging the Jew: A Clash of Civilisations
- A Beautiful Corpse: Vienna’s Fascination with Death
|Authors||Gemma Blackshaw, Edmund de Waal|
|Contributors||Tag Gronberg, Julie M. Johnson, Doris H. Lehmann, Elana Shapira, Sabine Wieber|
|Dimensions||289 x 220 mm|
|publisher||National Gallery Company|
UK Standard Delivery
Delivery within 10 days with Royal Mail 48. More information on delivery
Delivery within 15 days. More information on delivery
UK Express - Signed Delivery
Delivery within 5 days. More information on delivery
We hope that you will love everything you buy from us, however, if you're not completely happy with your order you can return it to us within 14 days of receipt.
Exceptions apply to made-to-order products. More information on Returns & Refunds
You might also like
Email when in stock
Please enter your email address below and we will contact you when it comes back in stock.
We will send you an email when this product arrives in stock.
- - Sorolla: Spanish Master of Light
- - Exhibition Catalogues
- - Courtauld Impressionists
- - Mantegna and Bellini
- - Landseer’s The Monarch Of The Glen
- - Thomas Cole: Eden to Empire
- - Monet & Architecture
- - Drawn in Colour: Degas from the Burrell
- - Monochrome: Painting in Black and White
- - Lake Keitele: A Vision of Finland